This regiment was organized at Baltimore, Md, from June to September, 1861, to serve three years. On the expiration of its term of service, the original members (except veterans) were mustered out, and the organization, composed of veterans and recruits, retained in service until July 17, 1865, when it was mustered out by reason of close of war. This regiment, like the First Maryland Infantry, was raised under the President's call of May 3d, 1861; a few of the companies were mustered into the service of the United States in June, 1861, but the recruiting of several other regiments at the same time delayed the completion of the organization, and it was not until the month of September, 1861, that the entire regiment was mustered in.
The officers and men were mainly from Baltimore, and on the 8th day of October, 1861. the field officers were appointed by the President, John Sommer, a soldier of the war with Mexico, being commissioned as Colonel.
Colonel Sommer held this position until April 24, 1862, when he resigned, and the command devolved upon Lieutenant-Colonel J. Eugene Duryee until September 22d, 1862. when he resigned, and Colonel Thomas B. Allard, having been appointed, joined the regiment at Wheatland, Va., in October, 1862, and assuming command, retained it until he resigned at Blair's X Road, Tennessee, January 19, 1863, being succeeded in command by Lieutenant-Colonel Henry Howard, who was killed July 30, 1864, at "The Crater" while leading his regiment in the charge. Captain B. F. Taylor, the ranking captain present, assumed command and was commissioned Lieutenant-Colonel.
Subsequent to this the regiment had no colonel, its numerical strength greatly reduced by hard service not being sufficient, under the rules of the War Department, to entitle it to an officer of that grade.
After the regiment had undergone a preparatory training in drill and discipline for active field service, it was assigned to the 9th Army Corps and joined the command of General A. E. Burnside, in North Carolina, in the Spring of 1862, and did its duty nobly in that glorious and successful campaign- that redeemed the sound coast of the old North State.
During the Peninsular Campaign the regiment, with Reno's Division, of which it formed a part, was sent to reinforce McClellan before Richmond, but arrived at Fortress Monroe after the battle of Malvern Hill, too late to be of service, and was ordered to join the Army of Virginia under Major-General Pope, near Culpepper, Va., and participated in the campaign leading up to its culmination at the battle of Antietam, Md., September 17, 1862, where the regiment specially distinguished itself in the famous charge result- ing in the capture of the Stone Bridge, now known in history as the Burnside Bridge. After the battle of Antietam the regiment remained with the Army of the Potomac, participating actively in all of its campaign work in Virginia, especially in the terrible battle at Fredericksburg, Va., December 12 to 15, 1862.
The regiment was thence transferred with Burnside's Command to East Tennessee, where it actively engaged in all the battles of the East Tennessee Campaign, and particu- larly in the siege and splendid defense of Knoxville, Tennessee, November 18 to December 6, 1863.
January 1, 1864, the regiment re-enlisted for the war and returned to Baltimore, where it received quite an ovation from the loyal citizens of Maryland, who felt proud of the prowess of this gallant regiment.
After the expiration of the thirty days' furlough, the regiment was again assigned to duty with the Army of the Potomac, and participated in the battle of Spottsylvania, Va., May 12 to 20, 1864; Tolopotomoy, May 31, 1864; Cold Harbor, June 3 and 4, 1864; assault on Petersburg, June 16 and 17, 1864; the Crater, July 30,1864, and the subsequent siege of Petersburg, Va., 1864-65 ; the battle of Weldon R. R., August 18 to 21,1864 ; Hatcher's Run, October 27, 1864 ; storming of Petersburg, April 2, 1865, and the final engagement resulting in the surrender of General Lee's Confederate Army, at Appomattox Court House, Va., April 9, 1865.
During its service in the United States Army, the Second Maryland Infantry marched 1847 miles, was transported by rail 1575 miles, and by water 2181 miles, a total of 5553 miles.
[Departments/ Army Corps the Unit Served In]
The regiment served in Dix's Division, Army of the Potomac, from muster in to March 26, 1862; First Brigade, Second Division, Department of North Carolina, to July 22, 1862; First Brigade, Second Division, Ninth Army Corps, to April, 1863; Department of the Ohio, to June, 1863 ; First Division, Twenty-third Army Corps, to September, 1863; First Brigade, Second Division, Ninth Army Corps, to January, 1864; Second Division, Ninth Army Corps, to March, 1864; First Brigade, Second Division, Ninth Army Corps, to April, 1864; Second Brigade, Third Division, Ninth Army Corps, to June 5, 1864; Second Brigade, Second Division, Ninth Army Corps, to July 17, 1865.
The casualties in the Second Maryland Infantry Regiment during the Civil War for the preservation of the Union were as follows : Killed and wounded, 5 commissioned officers and 84 enlisted men-total, 89 ; died of disease, etc., 3 commissioned officers and 134 enlisted men-total, 137; or an aggregate of 226 men.
After the surrender at Appomattox, the Second Maryland Regiment marched home- ward, and was duly mustered out of service at Alexandria, Va., July 17, 1865; trans- ported thence to Baltimore, Md., where the command was paid and finally disbanded. July 25, 1865.
The following is a list of the battles, not inclusive, however, of the numerous skir- mishes and actions in which the regiment were engaged, and in which they oftentimes incurred serious loss, viz.: Second Bull Run, Chantilly, South Mountain, Antietam, Fredericksburg, Blue Springs, Campbell Station, Siege of Knoxville; Petersburg, Va., June 16 to 17, 1864; the Crater, July 30, 1864; Siege of Petersburg, Weldon Railroad, Poplar Springs Church, Hatchers Run; Assault of Petersburg, April 2, 1865.
Note: Words in [brackets] do not appear in the original text - they were added to clarify the structure of this history for those not familiar with the format of the original book.