After it's organization the battery was assigned to the Eastern Shore of Maryland and Virginia. In the Spring of 1862, when General George McClellan moved against Richmond, the battery was assigned to General Hunt's artillery reserve, Army of the Potomac.
Positioned on the right of the Federal line with General Sumner's Corps on July 1, 1862, the battery was instrumental in repulsing General Lee's attacks on the Federal line at Malvern Hill.
After the failure of McClellan's Penninsular Campaign, Battery A. moved north with much of McClellan's forces to hook up with General Pope's command, but Pope was defeated by General Lee at Second Manassas, and moved back toward Washington. Lee followed up his victory at Masassas by crossing into Maryland. On September 14, 1862, Battery was brought into action at Crampton's Gap as Federal forces forced their way through the lightly defended passes on South Mountain, Maryland.
On September 17, during the Battle of Antietam, the battery was posted on McClellan's right with Slocum's Divison. During the assault on Lee's lines the battery managed to fight it's way to within yards of the Dunkard Church. Here it remained for much of the fighting, only yards away from the Confederate battle line. The battery suffered heavy losses and was comended by General Slocum.
Colonel Wainright, Chief of Artillery for the Army of the Potomac complimented the battery for it's service during the Battle of Fredericksburg. In May of 1863, when General Hooker attempted to flank Robert E. Lee's position at Fredericksburg by moving to Chancellorsville, the battery remained at Fredricksburg as part of the force Hooker left in front of Lee's army. During the Chancellorsville/Fredericksburg action the battery was engaged at Marye's Heights on May 3rd; and Salem Heights on May 3 & 4.
At Gettysburg the battery was again on the extreme right of the Federal line, ironically placing them opposite the Maryland Infantry C.S.A. at Culp's Hill. The battery was heavily engaged on the 2nd and 3rd day of the battle.
Battery A. was consolidated with Battery B. on March 11, 1865. The battery suffered six men killed and twenty-eight to disease.
History provided by Gary Baker of the Association of Carroll's Sacred Trust.